Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax



Tweeted 27. April 2010


Initially, I didn't want to tweet about anything personal, and I still don't, but I wanted to make an exception today. I woke up this morning to find out that Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax had been murdered on the streets of Queens, NY. Why? Because he tried to stop a woman from getting mugged. He was stabbed several times under the attempt and left to die - and he did. There was nobody there to help him, you ask? Yes, there was.

Approximately 25 people passed him by, and not even one of them tried to help. Of course, they took pictures of him lying dying on the pavement and turned him around just make sure he was soon to be dead, but helping him? No. That would be too much of a stretch. Who would go to those lengths? Who would actually try to save someone dying in front of them? Why, that's preposterous!

Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax would.

Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax did.

I would. I did. But few others. Why is that? Don't you all point at the TV when it's on the news and yell "Shame!" when someone don't? "How cynical! How cold!" "How ruthless! How heartless!". Yes, how heartless indeed.

I know the psychology behind this all too well, and so does my new friend whom wouldn't be here today if these statistics were true for all of us. Not once did it cross my mind to sit idly by while he was crying desperatly for help. Not once. Not once did I think "Oh well, someone else can help him". Not once did I think "Probably just a drunkard crying for attention". Not once. But everyone else, all of the hundreds of people around, did. And if I did too, he would've drowned in that cold winter water, being unable to get himself up due to hypothermia.

But I didn't.

And he didn't. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of taking responsibility in situations like these. It is crucial that you, yourself, do something, because waiting for someone else to do it could possibly cause tragedy and death. Don't you ever forget that. It shouldn't make you a hero rescuing or helping someone. It should be ordinary, what people-just-do.

But they don't.

So those who do, stand as heroes, only because, in the wonderful world we live in today, it's out of the ordinary to take action when someone else suffer. So Sunday April 18th the - now less wonderful - world we live in lost a hero. Today we stand left less safe and in more fear. But chances are, there will be no flying man in a cape.

A bird will be a bird. A plane will only be a plane.

Don't let this happen again. You dare not repose, nor stand and forget. Educate yourself. Know this. Use this. Make "hero" synonymous with "HUMAN". My heart broke today.
My condolences to anyone and everyone who were ever so lucky to know this man. And to every soul that was lost to The Bystander Effect.

Requiescat In Pace Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax.

Fly home.